Monday, June 22, 2009

Has Marriage Gone the Way of the Dinosaur?

Sandra Tsing Loh thinks so and wrote an article for The Atlantic to explain why, providing an interesting counter to the piece the same magazine published last year, entitled, "Marry Him--The Case for Settling for Mr. Good Enough." (We discussed that one here.) Psychologist Gail Saltz weighs in during Meredith Vieira's interview with Loh (wished Today had opted to give us more of an interview and less of that lengthy lead-in, though).

What's your opinion? Is marriage dead?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My opinion...of course marriage isn't dead.

And I am about as qualified as her to make the opposite statement. I didn't know who she was; so researched her (performance artist, radio commentary) and additionally found the actual article:

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200907/divorce

She has taken the growth in her own life and applied her learning and personality to it and decided to present it to the world. Fair enough. I am sorry that is the direction her domestic life took - regardless of fault.

I actually got more out of her article with the stories of her friends and the struggles they are going through in their own marriages. Maybe because they are living it. Maybe because some of it was more applicable to myself. Perhaps because she doesn't give much insight into her own marriage except that she had an affair.

On the TV show spot I thought that the counter-point gal raised an interesting perspective that I am only now understanding in myself and that is our expectations might be overwhelming for the marriage. I find in myself that I had such a bad example in my own parents that I am bent on not duplicating that I have created this mental paradise that is probably not entirely accurate or possible. The truth is; I don't know the first thing about a healthy marriage.

Doesn't make me want to give up loving and living with another person for the rest of my life.

Samantha

free shipping for orders over $100