Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Not Every Man Wants to Be Jack Nicholson

At a barbecue, the subject came up that a recently-purchased house in the neighborhood is up for sale again.

"I wonder what happened," I said.

"The guy left his wife for a 23-year-old girl," the hostess remarked.

"Are you kidding?" asked a 44-year-old fellow dipping into a bowl of Doritos. "How old is he?"

"I don't know," the hostess replied. "Forty-seven, I think."

"What an idiot!" the guy shouted. "Hey, Paul, did you hear that the guy in the white house left his wife for a 23-year-old?"

"I heard," Paul replied. "What an IDIOT!"

Later, I told Peter the story.

His reponse?

"What a moron. What's he going to talk about with a 23-year-old?"

Contrary to what the box in the living room tells us, not every guy wants to be Jack Nicholson or Michael Douglas (I still haven't figured out what Catherine Zeta Jones sees in that guy. His rump wobbled way back in Basic Instinct).


Digg!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting topic today. I have to admit, that as a 46 year-old divorcee, I do sometimes get insecure regarding my chances of a relationship with a desirable man.

If one listens to the media, all men want someone at least 10-15 years younger, and the rest of us don't stand a chance because we have dared to survive after 30!

But when I take a look around in the real world, I see that thankfully these types of guys are in the minority. My gorgeous real estate agent married a woman three years older who had three children. Gorgeous Rob Lowe, although Hollywood, is married to a woman three years older, and I have not heard a hint of scandal surrounding that marriage(after his hard partying days, he seemed to settle down as a pretty decent guy)

My theory is that in cases like the 47 year old and the 23 year old, each eventually gets what they deserve. The man is wanted simply for his money and power, and the honey is desired only as long as she stays wrinkle and cellulite-free. Can't help but wonder what would happen if the stud lost his money or the bimbo was in a car accident and paralyzed, or somehow lost her looks through disease.

free shipping for orders over $100