Sunday, November 05, 2006

Desperate Brad Pitt's Heartbreak!

When was the last time you read a headline like that? I don't remember ever seeing one, but I've read plenty like these:

JENNIFER DUMPED AGAIN! CAN SHE EVER FIND LOVE?

NICOLE BREAKS DOWN AFTER LEARNING OF KEITH'S AFFAIR

BRAD CAUGHT WITH HOOKER! SHATTERED ANGELINA IN TEARS

I read similar crap yesterday (the third example is a real headline from the National Enquirer), as I checked out a bunch of organic bananas at the supermarket. It occurs to me that women are always the victims of heartbreak in the tabloid press. Men are invulnerable.

My 10-year-old daughter once commented to me that "Britney is really mad at Kevin because he goes out with his girlfriend all the time." When I asked her where she'd heard that, she told me she'd read it on a magazine cover at the supermarket. I have to wonder what damage such nonsense has inflicted on her psyche.

Will she grow up believing that love is dangerous, that she is destined to be heartbroken, that she should accept it as fact that men always cheat because they, as Goldie Hawn once told the women on The View, are programmed to do it?

I am making it my job to ensure she does not. I want her to know that love may be a many splendored thing, but it should never be the only thing. I will encourage her to disqualify men who sleep around. I will teach her to treat men as she would have them treat her, and to discard those who do not treat her similarly.

Beliefs determine reality.

If she believes that good men exist and that she is worthy of being loved by one, she will be. But if she believes the message promoted by tabloids, women's magazines, and pop songs--that no man can ever love one woman for very long--she'll attract men who prove her right every single time.

You can get his attention. Learn how to flirt.

No comments:

free shipping for orders over $100